In a message dated 3/19/2009 9:26:06 P.M.  Pacific Daylight Time,
p...@web-options.com writes:
that's a perfect example  of equivocation. Abstraction in painting refers to
the removal (ie  abstraction) of representation & subject matter from
paintings, leaving  only the formal properties of point, line, surface,
volume, space, form, tone  and colour. That's the type of abstraction you
refer to when you first use  the word - abstraction opposed to
representation.

You then use  abstract in opposition to concrete, though I question whether
many of your  examples are abstract, such as emotions, wealth and power. That
is not what  abstraction in painting refers to.

Mondrian, Kandinsky, Pollock and  others are classic examples of abstraction
in painting. The purpose is  nothing to do with the concepts you list (except
in so far as art is a means  to wealth, power and strife!), rather the
purpose is to make the formal  properties themselves the subject of the work.

This is not possible with  photography because of its inherent relationship
with subject matter and our  expectations that photographs are 'of'
something. So-called abstract  photographs always end up as some sort of
party game where people try to  guess what they are of.

Bob

You refer, of course,  only to unmanipulated photographs.

Marnie aka Doe  :-)

Warning: I am now  filtering my email, so you may be censored.

**************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store?  Make meals for Under
$10. (http://food.aol.com/frugal-feasts?ncid=emlcntusfood00000002)