Hi Stan: Well, here's my 2 cents: DA* 50-135mm; DA 21mm; A 50mm f1.2; & maybe macro 100mm. I would never go anywhere without the DA* 50-135mm. I think it's a great range and it's a fantastic lens. I've become quite used to the weight. Having just purchased the 21mm, I'm very keen on this little gem. Good coverage for street work and architecture and it's size & weight is very packable :-). Having seen the 14mm f2.8 I'm not sure I'd want to pack the lens because of weight & size, but obviously it has better coverage than the 21mm. I would always take a fast 50mm for low light stuff--I don't have the 50mm f1.2, but I have the FA 50mm 1.4 & I'd take it with me & it's very packable as well. But if you are seriously considering buying the DA* 55mm f 1.4, heck take that one! I don't have the 100mm macro; I have the 50mm f2.8 macro. I'd seriously consider taking it, but when I travel, I get caught up in street work and such--I'm not so sure I'd use it much, but you have said you like close-up work, so you'd probably want the macro lens with you.

I don't know if that helps, but I gave it a shot. Can't wait to see the pics when you get back!
Big cheers, Christine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stan Halpin" <s...@stans-photography.info>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <PDML@pdml.net>
Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2009 12:23 AM
Subject: Lens travel kit dilemma

Re-visiting a topic that has been discussed off and on before on the list...

In 3 weeks or so I will be going to Rome with my wife for a short week. (5.5 days on the ground.) I am trying to decide what camera gear to take with me.

Some considerations:
a. Most of what I take should fit within a smallish LowePro day pack (sorry, I don't know the exact designation) which has a separate top compartment with slot for my laptop plus room for a bit more. With careful packing, using both the bottom and the day-pack section I can fit in 4+ lenses, and one camera body, and one camera body with vertical grip. This is my carry-on. Which also needs to contain my iPod, a book, and large bundles of cash. Let me know if you have any large bundles of cash lying around.

b. My usual procedure is to carry two bodies with me. One in my hand with a primary lens, a second with shoulder strap with secondary lens. Because my alternate lenses are in the backpack, I usually only change lenses with a major change in venue. Last weekend, for example, my brother was visiting and we toured a 19th Century woolen mill. I had the 16-50 on my primary camera, my brother's 12-24/4 on my secondary camera.

c. I prefer auto focus. I prefer faster lenses. I often focus manually, but there are times I just let the camera do its thing. I can't see well enough to focus manually in dim light, but often the cameras cannot either.

d. I like to take detail shots (e.g., the pediments on columns or the friezes on buildings.) But I also want the broader context shots.

e. I may wear a photo vest, the pockets are large enough to accommodate some of the smaller lenses, but once I dismount a larger lens, I need a place to put it besides the vest pockets.

f. We'll be going to at least a few venues where photography is not allowed and backpacks etc will need to be checked. It seems more secure to check one bundle (i.e., day pack) rather than a handful of camera bodies and lenses. So what I carry on a given day needs to all fit within the pack even though most of the time the two bodies plus two lenses would be out of the pack.

What I have to choose from:

14/2.8
21/3.2
43/1.9
A50/1.2
A50/1.4
77/1.8

100/2.8 Macro
K135/2.5 or M135/3.5

16-50/2.8
50-135/2.8

Some longer lenses that I am not considering for this trip.

Options I have thought of:

1. 16-50/2.8 + 50-135/2.8
a. good coverage of pretty wide to fairly long with good quality.
b. but neither fits well in the day pack for travel or when checking them at the museum entry. c. and if I mount these two for an outing, I am pretty much stuck with them unless I return to the hotel room and swap them out for primes. 2. 21mm + A50/1.4 (or 43/1.9) (or 50/1.2) with the 14mm and 77mm or 100mm or 135/2.5 in my pocket if I need a wider or longer lens
a. I lose the ability to frame shots that I have with the zooms
b. both 50's and the 135 are manual focus.
c. less weight, bulk, but the 135mm is a substantial chunk
3. One body with just the A50/1.2 or A50/1.4
a. I lose the wide angle capability
b. manual focus
c. simplicity!
4. Buy a 12-24/4, use this plus either 16-50 or 50-135 depending on venue. Or use it as a substitute for the 14mm in option 2.
a. the 12-24 is another heavy bulky lens
b. but it wouldn't be that different from carrying the 14mm, and gives me a broader range. 5. Buy a 55/1.4 to slot into option 2 or 3 in lieu of the 43 or 50mm alternatives.

Options 1 or 2 seem to make the most sense but I am having trouble deciding. My usual practice is to resolve such dilemmas by taking along too many lenses. Which weigh me down without often being used. Options 4 and 5 would be consistent with my life membership in LBA. Options 2, 3, and 5 give me the capability of walking the streets at night with one body and a smallish reasonably fast lens.

I am leaning at this moment to Option 5 with 14, 21, 55, 77, and 135.

Your opinions? On the listed options or other variants?

stan