I'm a fan of my Optio Z10 (old stock only available) which has a "Digital Wide Mode" allowing you to take two overlapping vertically composed pictures and stitches them together in-camera for a 28mm equiv. lens. Works very well, and the camera is small, no lens to poke out (internal optical zoom)(folded light path), and a slide over lens barrier (also turns the camera on and off) like the old Olympus Pen XA.

"The Optio Z10 is equipped with 7X optical zoom lens, the highest magnification among current PENTAX compact digital camera models, built in a small and lightweight body of easy mobility. In addition, the Optio Z10 has a high resolution of 8.0 effective megapixels, and features shake reduction that allows stress-free telephoto photography, and face recognition with high-speed detection time. In all, the Optio Z10 is a model that everyone can easily enjoy photography with high magnification and high image quality."

A Google search shows that it is readily available for under $100 from Buy.com, BuyDig.com and TriState Camera, though you can still pay original list price of $219.99 at Office Depot.