----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Dayton"
Subject: Directions of photography?

I ran across this exchange recently and it caused me to do some
thinking:
http://photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00SlvT

I have many of the same feelings as this guy presented.  When I look
at much of the current work being shown, especially on photo.net
galleries, I see heavy handed manipulation being the norm and also
being judged very positively.

Anyway, some interesting fodder for discussion for those who care to
take a read.  The thread discussion improves further down than near
the top -but you do have to read the initial post.

He's certainly fighting an uphill battle.
The advertising industry, which has always been about selling perfection, often to the point of blatantly lying, is now all about Photoshop, with the original image merely cannon fodder for the graphic arts department. While I really don't understand why a bride and groom would want to look like Becky Carter victims all growed up in their wedding pictures, I also understand that this is now the look of wedding photography. Whether it more savvy customers, or just donks who want to follow the latest trend is immaterial. If you don't want to sell it, don't put it in your port and don't offer it as a service.

Photography has always had an after the shutter clicks technical component to it, digital photography has expanded the possibilities of what can be done, and now photography is more about post processing than it is about taking pictures.

The Genie is out of that particular bottle, and it isn't going home anytime soon.

William Robb