From: "Pål Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2001 7:47 AM
Subject: Re: PZ-1p review

> Tom wrote:
>

> > Remember most of the manufactures offer "spiffs" to the salesman for
selling
> > their product. Guess who gives better spiffs, Pentax or Nikon? Now which
> > would you push if you were him?
>

> I believe its misguided to blame the Z-1p's lack on sucess on external
factors. It didn't reach the shops because it didn't get out of them fast
enough. In fact, I suspect Pentax deleted the LX from the world market to
push the Z-1p. A Pentax rep told me that the Z-1p increasingly become an
impossible sell and that it never really sold in the first place. In
comparison, the Pentax rep said that the MZ-S has sold beyond their
expectations.
> One may well enjoy the Z-1p. But them one would probably enjoy any Canon
or Minolta just as well. And thats probably the basic problem with the Z-1p.
You can't say the same of the MZ-S; its unique.
> When the Z-1 was release most users didn't have a large inventoty of AF
lenses. The camera was not sufficiently different from the competition to
prevent people to switch brands in hordes to Nikon, Canon and Minolta when
they were rerady to take the plunge to AF.