On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:10:27AM -0600, William Robb wrote:

> [...]

A lot do. A lot of software is being written for reasons other than
financial motivation. For example a Finnish college kid named Linus
Torvalds wrote the basis of an operating system for the fun of it. The
upside of this is there is a lot of software available for free, the
downside is that if you want to sell your software, it's tough to
compete on price with "free".

> No wonder I hammer nails for a living.

That industry's been hit even harder than the software industry these days.

Writing software is a development cost not a production cost. NRE,
Non-Recurring Expense.

--
The fastest way to get your question answered on the net is to post
the wrong answer.