2009/3/31 Manuel Magalhães <mfcmagalh...@netcabo.pt>:
> I liked very much of the two photos, but I'd like to ask something.
>
> These kind of photography attracts me a lot, but I usually tend to be a bit
> embarrassed to point the camera at someone in order to catch the moment, as
> you did, sometimes because If I am going to be quick enough it seems I am
> steeling that picture, other times if I wait a bit to much they look at me
> and a lot of things can happen. How do you manage to do these beautiful and
> touching photos.
>
> And this question it's not just for you because some of the guys here in the
> list have lovely photos of moments like those.

Well, there's no single way to do it, but for many of these sorts of
shots I'm shooting "from the hip".  Okay not really from the hip, but
I'm not looking through the viewfinder.  Usually the camera is around
my neck and I'm pointing it in the direction of the subjects.  I try
not to stare at the subjects, in fact I'll often look in the other
direction, only glancing once in a while to see if anything
interesting's happening.  I'll stand (or sit) there with my finger on
the shutter release, camera pointed at them, my body often pointed in
a different direction.  In other words I try to look as inconspicuous
as possible.

Then I just snap when the time feels right.  And hope that no one
hears.  If anyone looks my way I act as if nothing's happening, no
chimping or anything else.

For most of my street shots I do look through the viewfinder but I act
as "natural" as possible and just shoot away as if it's no big deal.
Or sometimes I'll chat with the subjects and get them comfortable
before snapping them.  Basically, whatever works.

cheers,
frank