On Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 03:06:22PM -0400, frank theriault wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 4:27 AM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
> > Normally, I look for contrasting backgrounds, but when I noticed how
> > well matched the fire hydrant and the flowers were, I had to take some
> > shots.
> >
> > http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3424/3391131145_6515b217c7_b.jpg
> >
> > from
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157615925062979/
>
> I like these.  My favorite is:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/3391946398/in/set-72157615925062979/
>
> Just a real nice composition - love the colours, too.

Thanks to all for all for the nice comments.  My coworkers were rather
puzzled to see me taking pictures of the fire hydrant in the parking
lot.

As I've mentioned, one of my steps in my workflow is to have my
girlfriend do a pass to narrow down the shots I work with.  This is
one of the ones that didn't make her cut, but it was one of my
favorites. In addition to personal taste, there seems to be a
difference in the shots photographers like, and those that
non-photographers like.  I suppose that there's a continuum, like
there is with jazz where one end of the spectrum is derisively called
"white wine" jazz, because it's what people start out on, like they
start drinking white wine before "graduating" to reds, and the more
esoteric jazz that sounds "like two radios tuned to different
stations".

I've seen a fair amount of this dichotomy in taste lately, with the
wedding shot thread, the HDR photographer whose shots look like
something out of a comic book, and whose website was pointed out to me
twice within a week both as a "check out this cool stuff" and "look at
this horrible dreck".

Perhaps one day, I'll spend effort in trying to categorize what
appeals to the different groups. It's also an interesting challenge to
come up with terms for the different tastes that don't sound snobbish.

--
The fastest way to get your question answered on the net is to post
the wrong answer.