Bruce Walker wrote:
I just picked up a little Opus umbrella swivel mount gadget. It has a hot shoe (I suppose a cold shoe really as it's not wired) on one end of it. Curiously though, it's entirely made of metal and if I attach my 540FGZ to it it will short all of the flash's pins together.

I'd be inclined to insulate it with some electrical tape and possibly some thin plastic just for good measure, but here's my question: am I being unnecessarily paranoid? Is it perfectly safe to short all the flash hotshoe pins together?

Well, as it turns out, once I examined this shoe more closely and tried fitting the flash to it, I discovered that the metal bottom of the shoe *just* clears the tips of the flash's hot pins by a hair -- ie: there's a tiny air gap in there. So I'm probably OK just leaving it alone. But I think I'll stick a small square of black tape there anyway just in case I'm attaching the flash while it's powered-up 'cause it's bound to touch the pins and that may set the flash off.

Thanks very much for your observations and advice, Luiz, Paul and Michel.

-bmw