On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Bob Sullivan <rf.sulli...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Once upon a time, Shel B. leveled somebody here with a professional
> quality critique.  It wasn't mean spirited.  It was solicited.  But it
> had nasty negative elements to it.  Traffic stopped and you could hear
> everybody on the list take a deep breath as they tried to tip-toe
> around the turd that had landed in their mailbox.  That was the 1st
> and LAST fully open and honest critique on this list.  And I don't
> think you want to go back there.  It would kill the pdml.
<snip>

I disagree, Bob.  I remember Shel's critique and no matter what his
intentions were, it came across as mean-spirited and nasty.  Yes the
photo was rather banal and boring, but I recall Shel asking why he
would even post such a photo on the list.  That's goes beyond helpful
feedback and well into the realm of hurtful.

One can be open and honest without that sort of thing.

And while I can't point to specifics, there have been plenty of "fully
open and honest" critiques on this list, both before and since Shel's
little diatribe.

cheers,
frank