On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 09:17:16AM +0100, mike wilson scripsit:
> ---- Graydon <o...@uniserve.com> wrote:
> > > This, apparently, merits the exclamation of "boing!" (or something
> > > similar) when it happens.
> >
> > Would you happen to know the derivation of the effect noise?  I can
> > follow the objection to universally centring things, but am having
> > trouble figuring out why that should go "boing!".
>
> I was hoping someone would step in before this, where I am forced to
> rely on the shattered remnants of my memory, but here goes...

It's possible that the shattered remnants are producing such
entertainment value that those whose memories are clearer feel you might
as well continue.

I suppose it also possible that you might have been the guy who was
drinking the least at the festivities subsequent to the events recounted
below, too. :)

> At the GFM nature weekend bash, Mark and Doug do a presentation of the
> results and make a precis of some of the criticisms of the ones that
> did not hit the bullseye.  One of their complaints was that many
> pictures had poor framing, with the subject centred in the frame.  The
> presentation slide show enhanced this feature by making a "boing"
> sound every time a slide was shown that featured this.  Hence "boingy"
> nature shots, especially portraits.  My own preference is for pictures
> that give at least some idea of the environment of the organism.
> Yours were quite good for that.

(Thank you.)

Ah!

That makes complete sense; it's fossil humorous emphasis, which explains
way more of the English language than most scholarly sources are
prepared to admit. :)

Thanks!

-- Graydon