Bob W wrote:
Haven't marked this OT as it is perhaps more of interest to listers than not.

Written by a cameraman I met who does lots of reviews and testing kit,
and is no stranger to the written word. Here, Phil Bloom sets out a
basic guide for photographing and filming in public spaces in the UK,
London in particular. You may find it interesting....

<http://philipbloom.co.uk/2009/04/14/filming-in-public-places/
#more-2674>

Well worth knowing, and well worth considering the implications for other
things. Two related examples are CCTV and Google Street View.
People often complain about being filmed everywhere by CCTV, but it's not
that much different from the law related to the type of filming you do, and
the type of stills photography that I do. Consequently I don't complain (all
that much) about being CCTVed. It doesn't stop me flicking Vs at the cameras
though.
Similarly, a lot of people have complained about the so-called threat to
privacy arising from Google Street View. What threat? What privacy? Google's
just doing what I do, except they have a truck and are going up and down
every street.

I'm sure most of the people who complain about these things would defend
their own right to take photographs in public places,
I really don't think you can equate occasional picture-talking at arbitrary locations with systematic filming of large areas. Those acts are really very different in nature.

- Toralf