> >>So there is a menu item that says the LCD displays the number
> >>of shots
> >>available in continuous shooting mode when shutter button is half
> >>pressed. (Strictly, it swaps between number of shots left
> on card and
> >>number available in continuous)
> >>
> >>But when I change from RAW 6mp to 1.5mp, jpg one star, the
> >>number shown
> >>on the half-press remains at three.  It appears that modern
> >>technology
> >>has finally managed to baffle this witless old fart.
> Unless someone
> >>here knows better.....
> >>

> > I haven't followed this thread, but here's a guess: after
> you've switched it
> > to 1.5 mp, take a picture and see if the count goes up. My
> guess is that it
> > calculates the number remaining, etc. after reading and
> writing to the card.
>
> Nope.  It counts down, 3,2,1,0 in continuous mode but the
> start number
> is always 3.
>
> Stupid machine.

I had a stupid machine problem earlier today. While shooting in the park I
noticed that the camera was showing a mixed-up frame consisting on part of a
photo I had just shot, plus parts of 2 photos I shot in Paris in February,
even though I'd deleted them from the card. Shortly after that the camera
stopped playing back the photos and only showed the frame numbers of the
photos.

I guessed it was something to do with the firmware upgrade resetting things
in the camera, and the fact that I hadn't formatted the card. So I switched
to a new, unused card, and all was well. Once I'd downloaded from the wacky
card I formatted it, and fiddled with the camera settings to hopefully that
won't happen again.

Bob