On 29 Dec 2001 at 22:57, John Mustarde wrote:

> I've experimented with underlighting for some of my digital photos. I
> set the objects on a lightbox to reduce shadows from the main light
> source(s). A background could be added later, after the objects are
> photographed to satisfaction.

Hi John,

Thanks for the comments (same for everyone). The light-box is an interesting
idea, I did see one time a commercial sill-life table constructed of what
appeared to be frosted acrylic sheet with a nice gentle bend at the back. This
set-up allowed lighting from beneath as you suggested. However I really wanted
to try to maintain the contrast between the objects and the background and try
to keep it looking natural.

> Maybe for this pen two shots could be married together in Photoshop -
> one shot for the highlights, and one for the shadows. I was thinking
> of shooting the tip of the pen exactly as you have it, then making a
> second, higher contrast or lighter shot for the barrel and cap to give
> them a little more punch.

I did actually try this in that I placed a well exposed nib on an image with
overall greater exposure except I lost the depth in my background. I really
think that I need to add some really low long lights at the front left and
right in order to fill in the shadows under the barrel of the pen.

> Aren't you glad you don't have to burn a bunch of film, and wait for
> processing, to see whether or not the lighting works? Digital is so
> good for product photography - it gives instant viewing of the
> lighting results.

Heaven.

On 30 Dec 2001 at 0:44, Tom Rittenhouse wrote:

Hi Tom,

> Not bad at all. You're observations are pretty much correct. You can
> consider digital as a direct positive type of media. There is a reason the
> people who specialize in this sort of thing (jewelry) use light tents and
> matte spray.

A light tent sounds interesting, matt spray sounds messy, I would like to
experiment with a water atomizer though, could be interesting as long as the
lights are right since the reflections in the drops could be hell.

On 30 Dec 2001 at 6:20, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> To my untrained eye (I'm no graphic designer), I much preferred the second
> one (smaller file).  It seemed to show much more depth.  Maybe that was
> because it was  a closer shot.  The pen looked much more real to me in that > > one.
> Which camera were you using, incidentally?

The smaller image was much easier to shoot and I suspect that it looks more
"real" as I didn't get the lighting as good as the first shot, I got irritated
and put a hard light right out front to put a sparkle on the edges, you can see
it plainly in the reflections. I have been using an Olympus Camedia E-10
because Pentax haven't produced a digital SLR yet :-(

On 30 Dec 2001 at 8:06, David Brooks wrote:

> Even though i have a "state of the art"(D1) digital camera,
> i still have a lot to learn about lighting with it and PS digital
> editing.Until i do however the 5 Pentax film bodies are staying
> right were they are in my Lowepro.
> My recent motto:When in doubt,film it.

Hi Dave,

I don't know about you but my digital camera has become my de facto P&S and has
been relegated to the task of taking on shots not deserved of film, however I
have gone out a few times now armed with a the digital and a 645 or 67 :-)

On 30 Dec 2001 at 9:36, Ed Mathews wrote:

> Wow, these look great on my monitor.

Hi Ed,

Thanks, they looked cool on mine too that's why I put them out to be
scrutinized, I haven't got it all sorted out though, I had something different
in my mind when I started. BTW you should see the high resolution files :-)

Cheers to all,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110