On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Bob W <p...@web-options.com> wrote:

> $10k for a bike that weighs 25 grams, and $30 for a lock that weighs 25
> kilos!

I only used it when I was messengering or (now) when I know that I'm
going to be parking my bike outside (especially in a rough part of
town) for a long period of time.  When messengering I was also
carrying and average of 20 lb on my back at any given time, so the
extra weight was no big deal.

I tended to look at it another way:  I spent about $100 to protect my
rather expensive tool of the trade.  The first week that I used that
big lock I came out of a building to see that someone had used a
cigarette lighter to burn through the woven nylon cover and had tried
to cut through one of the links with what appeared to be bolt cutters.
 The marks only marred the surface but didn't come close to cutting
through.  My "investment" paid off in spades almost immediately after
purchase.

cheers,
frank