Hi Malcom ...

It's really hard to answer your question as everyone's idea of what's
needed is different, and everyone's idea of what's creative is
different.  You ran into an unusual - perhaps once-in-a-lifetime -
situation, and that doesn't mean that you'll ever need a copy stand or a
macro lens again.  And, truth be known, had you more time to spend
copying these photos, you may well have come up with some ingenious
solutions yourself.

All photography makes a statement, and all photography requires one
skill or another, and perhaps a piece of specialized equipment.
Personally, the kinds of photographs you're making are very creative.
You have to document something clearly, without ambiguity, and in a
manner that someone - even if only you - can look back and learn
something from the photographs.  That's a major accomplishment.  Don't
negate it. To make a photograph that shows what's intended is an
accomplishment, and just because it's a photo of a bent car does not
lessen the skill required to make such a photo when compared to, for
example, a macro shot of a flower or a landscape.  For those, or any
photographs, to be successful, they must show what's intended - they
must tell the story of the scene and recount the moment.

That said, you've got enough of a kit to get started without adding lots
more gear.  Maybe a wider lens, like a 28mm, to compliment the 50mm, the
75~15o zoom, and the 500mm.  Since you've got an LX you might consider
the FB-1 finder base and the FC-1 eyepiece.  That will allow easier work
with close-up photography, but it will also allow you to use the LX in
ways other than by holding the camera to your eye, allowing for a more
interesting or creative POV with familiar subjects.  Skip the expensive
macro lens for a while until you're sure you need it.  Get a set of
extension tubes instead, and see how you like working close.  If you do,
and want to pursue that aspect of photography further, then you might
consider a true macro lens.

Instead of buying gear, experiment with new subjects and photographing
familiar subjects in new ways.  Learn the scope and limits of what
equipment you have, and see where equipment may help improve your
vision.  Gear, in and of itself, does little or nothing to train the eye
or increase creativity.  Gear only helps you express the creativity you
have.

--
Shel Belinkoff
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]