Bruce Walker wrote:

One of the more important features in the K20D that pushed me to upgrade from the K100Ds was being able to use the PUF as a flash controller. Up until then I never used the PUF and was considering gluing or taping it down so it wouldn't pop up when I occasionally hit the button by accident. :-)

Now I'd greatly miss it too.

I actually use the pop-up flash as a flash. It's been invaluable for backpacking when I'm carrying minimal gear or when there's no time to mount a flash before the moment's gone. Both situations applied for this shot:
http://www.robertstech.com/pages/gfm_14.htm

That bit of fill flash really helped the tame the foreground shadow areas. (ist-D and FA-J 18-35, the latter borrowed from Bill Owens for the hike) and the clouds were moving/changing so quickly I only had a moment in which everything came together.

Of course, being the official GFM "Mountain Goat on Crack", I want Pentax to keep the pop-up flash. If I were a studio rat I'd probably want then to ditch it. They can't please everyone, but I'm glad they've pleased me rather than Bill Robb so far :-P