Thanks Bob. Good information.
Paul
On May 9, 2009, at 7:09 PM, Bob W wrote:

I ought to start riding a bike. I run five days a week, but my knees
and legs are getting too old for that. I have a Nishiki
Colorado trail
bike hanging in the garage. It's about 25 years old. Needs a fair
amount of work. Is it worth fixing? Or should I just spring for
something new?
Paul

it appears to be a mountain bike, which may not be well suited for fitness cycling. I think a road bike would be better for fitness, but in any case you will have to cycle at fairly high speeds for long periods of time to get
the kind of fitness benefit you get from running. I think the ratio is
something like 4 miles of cycling for every mile of running, at the same
heartrate, to get the same fitness benefit.

If you have a heart rate monitor it might be worthwhile to measure yourself over your regular run, then take the bike out the following day instead of your run and try and cycle at the same heartrate and see if you can keep
that up for the same length of time as your run.

Bob