On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 10:14:51AM -0400, Doug Brewer wrote:
>> G-M means "Green - Magenta". The other one is "Blue - Amber". When you set
>> manual white balance, you choose a Kelvin value, and then can set both of
>> these two axes between -3 and +3. (The same adjustment grid that you use to
>> tweak the pre-set white balance.) The question is: -3 to +3 *what*?
>  now, see, I had considered that this might have been the case, then tried
> to over-complicate it.

:)

> I guess the way to figure "-3 to +3 what?" would be to establish the zero
> point (what is the Kelvin value of zero in this instance?) then look to see
> what the Kelvin values are at +1, -1, etc, and the interval would establish
> what they (Pentax) consider the units.
> Make sense?

Yeah, it makes sense, but for two things. First, the kelvin value displayed
doesn't actually change -- the G-M/B-A grid is over to the right of that
value and appears completely independent. And that's the second thing: the
Kelvin scale measures along a blue-red axis. The green-magenta axis isn't
related to that, so it makes sense that the Kelvin values aren't changed by
it. But the blue-amber axis, by virtue of including blue, seems like it must
have a complicated relationship with the Kelvin number.

And I guess that's the third thing: it's hard to measure the actual impact
of changes here.

I suppose the test is to shoot a gray card with the custom white balance
set to the card itself, and then see what divergence I get by changing the
scale on *that* screen around.

But even then, that's only part of the puzzle, and it seems like it should
be the *harder* part, when I haven't even solved the easier part. Namely,
once one has set the white balance with the gray card, there's no way to get
a display of what Kelvin value that represents -- let alone the other
offsets.

I could buy an expensive color meter, of course, but that seems really weird
to have to do when the camera clearly has one _built in_. Why can't it just
display its readings?

--
Matthew Miller           mat...@mattdm.org          <http://mattdm.org/>
The Definitive Pentax P-TTL Flash Model Guide: <http://pttl.mattdm.org/>