This is catastrophic! My retirement plans were entirley based on selling backlit protraits of hummingbirds to microstock agencies!!! I've really had it with Pentax. There are lots of real pro systems that will give you perfect shots of everything at the push of a button, and I'm gonna get me one real soon. Right now I'm kinda busy fixing the light leaks in my Zenit E..

---- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Stenquist" <pnstenqu...@comcast.net>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 8:09 PM
Subject: Re: Oh another K-7 thread...

You're missing the fact that the amount of flash exposure you can work into a shot is dependent only on the f stop. So if I shoot a backlit portrait outdoors at f5.6, 1.250th, I can fill flash in at that 5.6 value. If I'm forced to stop down to f6.7 because I can't go beyond 1/180th in shutter speed, I lose flash exposure and increase DOF. Ideally, I'd like to have flash synch up to 1/1000th, but that's complex and cost;y. And high-speed synch doesn't help much, because the flash power is greatly diminished by multiple firings.
Paul
Of course, with hummingbirds, it's even worse. Why, at 1/180th, the
hummingbird's wings have gone through a whole 38% of a stroke. With 1/250th,
that'd be reduced to a mere 28%.