On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 08:51:16PM -0600, William Robb wrote:

> [...]

Looks better than "pretty darned good" to me - unless there are some
really strong negative reports from the GFM crowd I'll be buying one.

Sure, I'd like the faster sync speed.  But the lack of it (and the
slower frame rate) didn't tempt me back to using my PZ-1p.  Most of
the time high-speed sync serves well enough, although when you are
using trailing-curtain sync I believe you don't even get 1/180 of
a second (the *ist-D dropped back to 1/60; I don't know what later
bodies did).

The 1/8000 second is very welcome for those of us trying to use
fast lenses in California sun; I don't have ND filters for all my
f/2.8 lenses (or for the 250-600), and sometimes the minimal depth
of field of a fast lens is what you want.  In any case, changing
shutter speed is a lot more convenient than playing with filters.
The K10D (1/4000 top speed; ISO 100) is OK most of the time; the
*ist-D (minimum ISO 200) was marginal.

The frame rate is quite a big deal for me, too.  I really liked
the responsiveness of the PZ-1p (4+fps), even though I mostly
used it in single-frame mode; the faster frame rate results in
a shorter viewfinder blackout time, and the camera is ready for
another shot sooner; I occasionally find myself trying to take
the next shot before the (3fps) K10D is ready.