I have the Epson 1200, which was the first of the 12 series printers. The most
current, the 1280, is similar, although it uses a different type ink. My
printer has been very durable, having cranked out perhaps a thousand large,
hi-res prints and thousands of homework papers for my kids. If I were to
replace it today, I would go with the Epson 1280. The 2000P offers slightly
more archival capability, but it's inks aren't as brilliant as the 1280's, and
to my eye, the prints are not as attractive. One pro who I questioned uses a
1280 for color printing, and a 2000P, with special inks and software, for BW
printing.
Paul