Darryn,

Both of your issues would be solved by the PZ-1p.  Neither would be
solved by the MZ series.  The PZ-1p has a Pentax Function to leave the
leader out on rewind.

I have found in my bulk loading experience several things:
1) MZ series winding motors are a bit weak
2) Plastic cannisters tend to bind alot more than metal - even with a better motor
3) long rolls (> 24) tend to put more load on the wind/rewind motor

So If I were you, I would go for the PZ-1p and use metal cannisters.
The motor in it is much stronger and will work fine for bulk rolled
film.

Bruce Dayton