----- Original Message ----- From: "David J Brooks"
Subject: Re: June PUG is up

I see Moosbank had a WWII flight training area. Wonder if thats were
my Dad trained. Can't ask him, but i know it was in Sask.

There's a good chance it was Mossbank.
After the war effort wound down, the DOD turned the traning area over to the town, which immediately turned it into a golf course. Apparently the Scots do this just about everywhere more than one of them settles. Local lore had it that there was so much unexploded munitions left outside of the course proper that the occasional errant drive would sometimes hit something that went bang, and you don't really want to step very far off the fairway to search for lost balls.
Sort of the original version of Extreme Golfing, I guess.

I know from experience that a bad drive off the first tee would generally hit the old runway tarmac and from there would end up pretty much anywhere.

William Robb