Try Komposer

http://kompozer.net/

It's pretty easy to use and offers WYSIWYG as well as a source screen.

-p

Bob W wrote:
[...]
For Bob W, re the index page. I thought i found all the spelling
mistakes, but i guess not.;-) The page it self is from a web tutorial
offered by my ISP, which i did a simple page, then cut pasted and
hacked my way into the way it is now.
I have a book on coding, but its all greek to me so this was the best
i could get on my own.
I asked Mark last year if any of his students wanted to have a go at
it, for the extra credit he was offering, and not suprisingly, no one
offered.

I'll go in and try and fix up what i can from the suggestions.

Unless you have ideas of becoming a professional it's probably not worth the
struggle to try and learn to code it by hand. You might be better off trying
out various freeware wysiwyg web page editors which you can use to manage
the layout quite easily, including canned templates which will help you to
develop a simple, professional look.
You could try SeaMonkey, for example, which includea a wysiwyg html editor.
I haven't tried it myself, so don't take this as  a recommendation, but it
seems to have a reasonable pedigree so I imagine it would do a pretty decent
job. Actually, I just downloaded and tried it. Here is an example of
state-of-the-art web design that I knocked together in a couple of minutes:
http://www.web-options.com/PRL.html

I reckon with a couple of hours playing around you could put something
pretty decent together.

There are a few books around, which your library should be able to find for
you, which help with page design. Two that I've found useful are Web Style
Guide by Lynch and Horton, and Designing Visual Interfaces by Mullet and
Sano.

If you do decide to hand-code it I would recommend that you learn about and
use CSS. A very good book about it is Cascading Style Sheets by Lie and Bos.

Bob