Warning, extreme geekage follows. If you don't speak bash, just skip it.

On Fri, Jun 05, 2009 at 08:52:46AM +1200, David Mann wrote:
> On Jun 5, 2009, at 12:28 AM, Christian wrote:
>
> We have such a prompt set up on our production system at work.  If
> you're already "really sure" you can use rm -f instead.  And when I do
> that I'm _very_ careful!

I don't remember the exact detaild, but in general, I was under a
"meet this deadline or be fired" situation when I needed to delete
everything in the foobar subdirectory and typed something like

rm -rf foo[tab]*

in /

What I didn't notice until too late was that it expanded to

rm -rf foobar/ *

The good news is that it deleted the symlink I had set up to /home
before it could get to my home directory, so I merely lost everything
that was installed on my computer and didn't lose my home directory.

--
The fastest way to get your question answered on the net is to post
the wrong answer.