On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Bob Sullivan <rf.sulli...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cars I have owned:
> 1961 Sunbeam Alpine:  more often dead than alive as a used car.  I
> learned to repair it. Rusted away by '73
> 1971 Olds Cutlass:  Drove thru 110K miles.  Good performer, simple repairs.
> 1973 Olds Cutlass:  Again, a good performer - sold after wife was rear
> ended in '78 (trunk leak)
> 1980 Toyota Corrola:  Reliable, quality car if a bit spartan.
> 1982 Chevy Caprice:  Comfortable car with minor problems.  Drove the
> Wife & Kiddies some 600 miles
> per weekend for family visits while Grandpa died of panceatic cancer.
> (Big car for the road)
> 1984(?) Pontiac Parisian (=Chevy Caprice):  Big comfortable car with
> few problems.  Had to get
> out of the Toyota for the daily commute on Chicago's Tri-state tollway
> & 18 wheelers.
> 1988 Olds 88 Royal:  Another fine performer, reliable, comfortable, mid-sized.
> 1991 Olds Station Wagon:  Comfortable touring on multiple family
> vacations, very good
> 1993 Buick Regal:  Pretty car, but not very reliable.  Dealership
> couldn't fix it's problems.
> 1995 Mercury Marque (used in '97):  Big iron for the kids to drive, worked
> fine.
> 1997 Cadillac (used in '99):  Neighbor insisted we buy his low milage
> car - trouble always, dead by '03
> 1998 Ford Explorer (used in '00):  Son drove thru 100K miles without
> major problems.
> 1998 Mercury Nautica Van:  18 inches too short, but best van we've had
> - shared platform with Nissan Quest.
> 2002 Ford Windstar Van:  OK performer, but major engine issues at 60K miles
> 2003 Olds Aurora (used in '05):  Another problem car
> 2005 Accura TL:  very nice car!
> 2006 Ford Freestar:  OK, but mysterious brake problems - chatter
> 2003 Corvette (used in '08):  Only 7K miles and a pleasure to drive!
>
> Overall, the recent experiences with the 1st year Mercury van built in
> conjunction with Nissan and the Accura TL have made a very favorable
> impression for the foreign engineering.  Ford has been OK by me, but
> nothing outstanding.  Meanwhile, the recent GM experiences with Buick,
> Cadillac, and Oldsmobile have been problematic.  I won't go there
> again.
> Regards,  Bob S.

Offhand it looks like you had your best experiences with the big
Detroit iron (aside from the Caddy, which were known for problems in
the late 90's/early 2000's models). Not all that surprising an
experience, big iron is what Detroit spent their dollars doing right.
The smaller stuff had more issues.

--
M. Adam Maas
http://www.mawz.ca