> The Uffington White Horse is a figure dug into a chalk
> hillside in Oxfordshire about 3000 years ago, for reasons
> unknown.  A curious feature is that the only complete view is
> from the air.  We hiked up there last weekend, on a wet and
> blustery morning, with my niece and her husband.
>
> The flat-topped hill to the left is where (legend has it) St.
> George slew the dragon.
>
> http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9329132&size=lg
>
> (K10D, DA 16-45)

That's a nice shot - very atmospheric.

> Courtesy of Google, here is the satellite view (preserving
> the conventional north-at-the-top orientation):
>
> http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=9329171
>
> Rick

Recent archaeology suggests that it was carved by the Beaker People. They
used to entertain themselves by taking to the sky hanging on to stone kites
(made from the leftover bits of old sarcens) and drop bronze arrows with
flights made of horsehair towards the chalk nag. It was an early form of
Extreme Pin The Tail On The Donkey.

Bob