John Sessoms wrote:

From: ann sanfedele

Now you've given those slow on the uptake a big hint re my photo, Dave,
I wonder if the adjustment is truly a universal symbol.

With some variations, it might be.

The Romans called the middle finger "digitus impudicus" or "digitus infamis", and the gesture means pretty much the same thing everywhere Roman influence spread - either by conquest or by trade.

The English use two fingers where Americans use one.

That's rather hard to do if it's the two middle ones....

ann