That sounds like what happened to both my MZ-Ms way back; both had to
do with some motor which was replaced by Pentax (one was under
warranty while the other was not).  I can no longer exactly remember
why they failed (it happened way back in 2001 or so...although one may
have been a quality control issue) but I know it did not have anything
to do with batteries.

Speaking of batteries, the manual does say that nicads are no-no for
the battery pack FG; it does not say why but I do remember something
from the Canon motor drive MA (for the A-1/AE-1 Program) manual which
also does not allow nicads that it has something to do with a
difference in...something (watts? amps? --I forget; I don't have that
manual anymore)...which would effectively burn out motors (the motor
drive MA does have a separate nicad battery pack which downgrades its
performance).

--
Bong Manayon
http://www.bong.uni.cc