On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 10:50:41AM -0400, David J Brooks scripsit:
> Question is, would it be best to write the stories in MS word or
> Apples version of word, THEN cut and paste the text and photos, or
> just type away on Blurbs software.

Under no circumstances write a long book, especially a
graphics-intensive book, in Word.  (That's not what's it's meant for;
multiple inexplicable things go wrong.)

>From the look of their FAQ for it, the Blurb software is a layout tool,
like InDesign or Scribus, rather than an editor as such, so typing in it
directly will suck.  But it will handle all or most of the what font,
what size, what justification issues via provided templates, so you
shouldn't need to worry about that beyond template selection.

So generally I'd suggest you write the stories in individual text files
(try TextPad; no invisible special characters that way), one per folder
with all the associated pictures, and then start building the Blurb book
from there.  It should be mostly a question of dumping text in the
template.

Oh, and the strange grim gods of computing *love* eating hard drives
just before you get some large work like this is finished; remember that
a backup isn't a backup until it's somewhere else.

-- Graydon