Nice pic.
I don't recall ever seeing abnormal fringing with the 12-24. It might just be that this particular combination of colors and extreme contrast caused the fringe.

Here's a relatively high contrast pic I shot with the lens a couple of years ago, f8, 15mm:

Here's a 100% crop of the highest contrast area. That could be a bit of blue fringe on the tops of two buildings, but I think it's a reflection of the sky:

I'd shoot some more tests and see if it's a recurring problem. If so, you may want to request a replacement. You should also check for flatness of focus field, wide open at 24mm. If there's a misalignment of elements it might show up there.

Paul