Hi All,

I thought I would share my experience with Lightsphere Cloud C1.

Some time ago several people on the list kindly responded to my
questions about it.
I finally ordered it in early June, just before an event where I was
hoping to use it. Here is a brief report.

1. I was choosing between two versions of it: "II" and "Universal"
which differ in the way they mount on the flash, and cost $40 and $50,
respectively:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/435136-REG/Gary_Fong_LS2_C1_C1_Lightsphere_II_Inverted.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/526348-REG/Gary_Fong_LSU_CLOUD_Lightsphere_Inverted_Dome_Cloud.html

The B&H feature description lists AF500FTZ as being compatible with C1
II. Also, somebody on the list said that he had no problem with "II"
(I don't remember with AF500FTZ or with AF540FGZ).

So, I purchased the cheaper version.

2. Once I received it, - I had problems putting this cloud onto the flash.
I sweated before I had it attached.
After 2-3 or three times that and next day, I got used to doing it,
so it was taking less effort (but still was not that overly easy),
but then I started having additional problems that it wouldn't stay
on for long time, - would be slipping of the flash (even when I would
have it sitting on the desk - without any motion).

3. On the positive side: I like how even the light is.
4. On the negative side: Light losses resulted in increasing power
demand which led to a) longer recharging time and b) shorter battery
lifetime. It averaged at ~80-130 shots per a battery set, with the
situation being worse when I had to take many pictures over a short
period of time.
Also, the distance range where the flash is effective has shortened
drastically.
5. Another negative side: even though the diffusor is rather light,
because of the size, it exerts a large torque on the flash head.
As a result, in certain flash head positions (camera 90 degrees tilted,
the flash head being in the forward position with a left/right,
corresponding to up/down 45 degree tilt), it is barely stable.

My wife was surprised that a piece (well 2 pieces) of plastic can cost
this much.

Despite the con's, I liked the quality of the light, so I sent it back
to B&H to exchange for the $50 version - to improve the way it is attached
to the flash. They seem to have agreed to charge just the difference
in the price ($10). Now I am waiting for the shipment of the newer
model.

As I am writing this, I started thinking if I should've gotten the
clear one or even the pack of the two: frosted and clear - to
increase the distance range.

Igor