Graydon wrote:

I use a Bogen/Manfrotto black, three-section monopod, I think the number here is 3218. I usually have a Bogen/Manfrotto 3262 medium ball head on it. I use it with the Sigma APO 400/5.6 Macro and the Pentax F* 300/4.5 exclusively. It's plenty strong to deal with those lenses, and could double as a bludgeon if the local fauna get too nosy. However, it's only a couple of pounds or so (I've never actually weighed it).

    - I'm 190cm/6'3" tall

I'm only 5' 10" and this 'pod might be a little short for you. OTOH, rarely do I fully extend both sections, so it might be OK.

    - lots of the places I try to take pictures have a generally soft or
      uneven substrate

Get one that has a foot spike, or can take one as an accessory. This can also increase it's weapon potential. :-)

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)