Net10 will give coverage in any major metro area, (if you look at US "National" coverage maps you'll see lots of white space, where no cell towers of any kind exist).
Paul Ewins wrote:
Hi all,
my girlfriend and I are heading off at the end of the month on a six week trip to Hawaii, New York, Montreal and the south-east of Canada. Rather than use global roaming and risk large charges from our local (Australian) carrier what we have done in the past is buy a cheap phone or a SIM card when we get to our destination and use a pre-paid account.

It looks like my antique Nokia is incompatible with US frequencies anyway, so the plan is to pop into Walmart and get a cheap pre-paid phone there. Is it safe to assume that any carrier with coverage in Hawaii will have coverage in New York? Once we get to Montreal I assume that we will have to get a new SIM card, and possibly a new phone if the Walmart one is locked to the carrier. Or is their a carrier that makes swapping from the US to Canada easy?

If you have any recommendations or a better plan I'd love to hear it.

Paul Ewins
Melbourne, Australia

The free man owns himself. He can damage himself with either eating or
drinking; he can ruin himself with gambling. If he does he is certainly a damn
fool, and he might possibly be a damned soul; but if he may not, he is not a
free man any more than a dog.

        --G. K. Chesterton