I've been away for a few days, so just catching up on my PDML
news/views.  Actually  the pre-flash is there even if you do not use the
AF360 remotely because it fires a control flash to measure the flash
with the multi-zone meter system (P-TTL) and that is what I believe one
sees through the viewfinder.  Of course if using the flash remotely,
then there are a further series of control flashes so the camera and
flash communicate info to each other.  All appearing as one contiguous
flash with no apparent shutter delay.

Cheers,  Mike.