From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of Keith
Whaley
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2009 7:29 AM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: OT: Down the memory hole ...

P. J. Alling wrote:
> I don't know, I've not been particularly impressed with the dedicated
> readers I've seen.  I've been reading documentation on computer screens
> for the past 15 or 20 years, since Microsoft stopped printing bound
> manuals anyway, and a good monitor works well enough.

A discussion point ~ or two.

My reading "style" if I can call it that, is desirous of a physical book
in which I can access previous chapters, pages, etc., at my leisure, for
reference, or any other whim...

Not always, but often enough that being denied that instant, random
ability to go back to what I read before seriously hampers me!
I've always read that way. On occasion, I'll serial read a book, cover
to cover, and never go back to re-read anything. But not very often.

The one advantage I find my Kindle very useful for, is reading in bed!
I always read until I get sleepy, and having a Kindle full of reading
material is a big advantage.
No more end table or dresser piled up with reading material, usually
paperback sized books.

I fully recognize the folly of buying (and downloading) a Kindle book,
and later deciding I like it enough to want my own hard copy available,
so I go out and buy one!
Now I have two! One on the Kindle, one in my bookcase.
Sounds pretty lame to me too (!), but I don't expect that to happen
often. Just with select books...

Bottom line? I guess I'm in the process of trying to get used to a
reader like the Kindle; something I couldn't imagine my doing not too
long ago. Had my first Kindle not been a gift, I'm not sure the
inclination would ever have grown large enough to buy one for myself.

Do I even WANT to get used to it? I think so. It definitely has it's
utility...

Just some random stream of consciousness dialog, for what it's worth...

:-D   keith