It looks like the monopod that meets my specs for reasonable quality
and fitting in both my camera bag and budget is the Manfrotto 790B. At
$33, and 16" collapsed, it looks like an affordable solution.

I sent Adorama a note asking if there were any other monopods that met
my specifications, this is the conversation so far. And correct me if
I'm wrong, but aren't Manfrotto and Bogen one company, with Gitzo as a
competitor?