they whom i call Bruce Walker wrote:
P. J. Alling wrote:
Has anyone else had a problem like this? I use the gmail pop interface. Every once in a while thunderbird will give me the message that mail.gmail.com won't accept my user name and password. I am then forced to login through the web interface and enter one of those stupid security codes

I have Thunderbird (Mac) configured to connect to GMail via IMAP. Now and then it hiccoughs and demands my password again. I just ignore it (dismiss the dialog box) and eventually it straightens itself out.

It's been acknowledged by the GMail people as just a glitch they'll fix someday. Probably system (over-)loading issues.

i've had both of the (separate) problems described above; Bruce describes occasional password failures by gmail imap in ThunderBird, which happens often for me; P. J. describes a password rejection which can't be cured unless you jump through hoops on the gmail web interface; that used to happen to me at least once a week, but hasn't since May or so; i had understood the latter to be related to connecting via different ip addreses -- i move my computer between home and work everyday, sometimes go elsewhere, and also have my phone connecting