On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:19:43PM +1000, Anthony Farr wrote:
> 2009/7/28 P. J. Alling <webstertwenty...@gmail.com>:

> It reminds me of the brand (forgotten which one) which recently
> declared that use of third party batteries would void a camera's
> warranty.  Do they have snoop-ware in the firmware that can sniff out
> non-compliant attachments and create a hidden log-file?

Actually, that's likely how they do it. They probably have a chip in
the battery that will use a key to hash a random number that the
camera sends it. I haven't read up on Alice, Bob et. al. in a while,
but it's pretty straightforward crypto.

Larry Colen             l...@red4est.com            http://www.red4est.com/lrc