Thanks Joe, Thibs and Matthew. Your comments come very much in line
with my own suspicions.

1. It seems that software developers are left to figure out the codes
themselves.
2. I do not believe that eg. Adobe receives any information directly
from Pentax.
3. Third party lenses are problematic regarding codes. Some have
non-unique codes.

The latter is not a case of sheer software recognition, though. It
might as well be the camera that attributes the wrong code in the
first place.

It strikes me that for this to work smoothly, some independent body
would have to maintain public lists of lens IDs. Snowball's chance in
hell that would happen. :-(

Jostein