----- Original Message ----- From: "Thibouille"
Subject: Re: DPReview vs the DA* 55 1.4 SDM

Margus, what are your findings about sharpness, specially wide open?
Supposedly (I insist, I can't compare myself) the FA50 is soft wide
open and DA*55 is quite sharp even wide open.

This is what I found. I'm not sure if I'd call the FA50 to be soft wide open, but it certainly lost a lot of sharpness wider than f/2.8. The DA* lens is only very slightly less sharp wide open than it is stopped down to f/4 (where it sings). By f/8 there isn't much to say between the two, so if you spend your life stopped down to 5.6 or smaller, the DA* is probably not the lens for you. However, if you like to shoot wide open and have decent sharpness, then you have to decide if you can stomach the cost of admission.
The DA* does come with a very impressive lens hood.

William Robb