On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 06:42:00PM -0400, Doug Franklin wrote:
> Adam Maas wrote:
>
>> I actually doubt that will happen soon. CPU cores are increasing
>> faster than GPU cores currently. And current GPU designs are massive,
>> you really can't do multi-core GPU's unless the entire design paradigm
>> changes immensely (although current GPU designs do use multiple
>> execution units)
>
> Within the last week Adobe announced that PS CS4 would support using the
> GPU for image manipulation.  They claim that at least some cards will be
> fast enough for real-time zoom and filters.

Yep.  Adobe were advertising for people to work on GPU algorithms a year
or so back, so I was expecting the first fruits to show up around now.

I did a quick estimate based on the architecture of the nVidia cards and
reckoned that it should be possible to do a pretty fast Panorama stitcher;
a short amount of identifying alignment points (maybe a few seconds), and
then real-time pan-and-zoom on the composite image (all working directly
from the original bits - no need to actually build a big panorama image).