On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 02:18:04PM -0400, Miserere wrote:
> 2009/8/13 Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com>:
> >
> > I'm finding that manual focus is working a lot better for me than
> > autofocus in low light dance photography.
>
> Larry, how do you manage to get steady photos while you dance?

I'm not shooting while I'm dancing. Well, not usually.

I brace myself, and prefer to use a monopod.

> The focus assist really IS like a real assistant; i.e., you can
> sometimes let it do your work for you, but if you want it done right,
> you have to do it yourself.

I wish I could set things up so that it's in manual focus, but I can
set a button to autofocus, and then release the motor so I can fine
tune the focus by hand. I suppose I can get used to using the focus
mode switch by the lens.

Even with the katzeye, it's tough in low light manually. I need to
train myself that when the camera says it has focus lock, I have to
make sure that it is locking on the right thing.

> As for the pics, I can't tell much because the sizes are quite small
> on your Flickr page, but I would be happy to be getting that quality

That set was processed for facebook, so the smaller size. I just
posted those on flickr so Joe could see the EXIF data.

> at ISO3200. This one, for example:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/3818423996/in/set-72157622030236980/
>
> looks very clean.

Thanks.

> High ISO looks crap when you pixel peep, there is no way around that,

But sometimes it looks a lot worse than others.

Larry Colen             l...@red4est.com            http://www.red4est.com/lrc