Thanks. Rick. You have a good ear and eye.
I alerted my contact. I'm sure the Times will change it. I complained about the very tense they screwed up in edit, and they changed it immediately. The Times strives to make their interenet copy very timely, so it's not subjected to as much scrutiny as the paper. Four of the six blogs I wrote for them were uploaded virtually word for word from my doc. I wrote number one in an order that wasn't rigidly sequential, and they rearranged it to make it a strict "first to last" piece. I wrote number five in present tense to give it a sense of immediacy, and they changed it to past tense. I guess "what happened when" matters more to a newspaper than it does to me.
Paul
On Aug 14, 2009, at 9:34 PM, Rick Womer wrote:

Interesting story, Paul, and nicely written again.

The copy editor let through the wrong spelling of principal in the 2d graph. Tsk, tsk NYT.

Rick

http://photo.net/photos/RickW

--- On Fri, 8/14/09, paul stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net> wrote:

From: paul stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net>
Subject: Number 6
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Date: Friday, August 14, 2009, 2:55 PM
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/14/dream-cruise-some-love-it-some-dont/

directly above and follow the directions.

The free man owns himself. He can damage himself with either eating or
drinking; he can ruin himself with gambling. If he does he is certainly a damn
fool, and he might possibly be a damned soul; but if he may not, he is not a
free man any more than a dog.

        --G. K. Chesterton