On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 22:53:45 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi,
>   so, is getting an LX body really worth it?

I copied this from a private email of mine which I made earlier today.
It may contain too much heresy for the PDMLers... so touchy persons
please do not read.

"I have an LX. I like it a little, but I don't think it is the
ultimate camera like so many PDMLers seem to think. It's just a pretty
good manual focus camera with a really nice mirror lock-up lever and
some neat accessories. However, the LX is terribly inconvenient to use
with fill-flash, especially compared to the PZ1p.

As for the low-light performance, well, on automatic it will turn the
blackest night into medium gray as long as it can hold the shutter
open long enough. For a shorter night exposure like fireworks, I would
have to do some exposure compensation to keep from blowing out the
highlights, or just use manual mode. But I'm not much for autoexposure
on any camera - I like to switch between metering modes and decide for
myself.

I really like the mirror lock-up. The MLU lever, and it's neat
position and ease of use, is almost enough all by itself to own an LX
rather than any other manual focus 35mm camera. But I understand the
MZ-S has some useful and conveniently placed buttons and levers also.

What I use most is the sports finder, which is the system base plus
the action finder. It gives the LX some unique and useful
functionality compared to any other camera I have used.

With the new, bright screens, the LX has become my primary manual
focus camera. With the bright Pentax screens, it is easy to focus.
Without them, I would probably stick with an ME Super instead of the
LX."

--
John Mustarde
www.photolin.com