P. J. Alling <webstertwenty...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem you're having Dave is that the Hoya R71 isn't an exact equal
> to the Wratten #87 filter.  It allows enough Red through to over power
> the Red channel which will cause less crisp images.

Exactly. The R71 is more like an 89C which looks like a strong red
filter and is still somewhat transparent for the human eye. The 87 is
totally opaque.

The Wratten #87 has the additional advantage of being available as a
gelatin filter and is thus less expensive than e.g. a Hoya R71. I'm
using it in a Cokin A filter holder. This way, it's also far easier to
mount and remove for checking the framing than a threaded glass filter
which would have to be screwed in and out all the time.

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher  -  DL9KCG  -  Köln/Cologne, Germany
Blog   : http://the-real-fotoralf.blogspot.com