-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Peifer, William
[OCDUS]
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 12:41 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Cc: 'aimcompute'
Subject: RE: Extra-solar Planet Imaged Optically

Tom C. wrote:
> Thought some may enjoy this.  Apparently a ground based telescope
> has optically resolved a brown dwarf orbiting another star.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/01/07/brown.dwarf/index.html

Hi Tom,

Yeah, that's pretty cool.  If I did my arithmetic correctly, that's an
apparent separation of about one fourth of one milliarcsecond.  Even with
monster, multi-meter-class ground-based telescopes, resolution at visible
wavelengths -- without adaptive optics -- is limited to about one half of an
~arcsecond~ (i.e., 500 milliarcseconds, or about 2000 times less resolution
than these fellows obtained) because of atmospheric turbulence.  Adaptive
optics are pretty amazing.  Telescopes like the Keck can obtain theoretical
resolutions on the order of 10 milliarcseconds in the visible, and even
better in the infrared.  (Sounds like these fellows were going a step
further and doing infrared interferometry, which would boost resolution even
further.)  I just wish these "science journalists" would learn the
difference between brown dwarfs and planets.  Methinks they're giving the
impression to the general public that all these "planets" are just like
Earth, which of course is not the case at all.  Not sure where the dividing
line is between carbon stars and brown dwarfs -- IIRC, carbon stars use
heavy atoms to fuel nuclear fusion reactions, but I don't know if brown
dwarfs can do this.  They emit in the infrared, but I'm not sure what powers
this process.  Heavy-element fusion??

If you want to see something really neat, look at the January 2001 (last
year's) issue of Sky & Telescope.  I was just looking at this back issue
last night.  There's a brief note in the front about some amateurs using a
small scope (14" Schmidt-Cass, I think), a CCD, and some photometric
software to get a light curve for some star with a known short-period
extrasolar planet.  From our vantage point here on Earth, this planet
transits across the face of its star every few days, causing a very small
(0.02 magnitude) drop in the star's apparent intensity.  They measured the
intensity of the star during one of these planet transits, and sure enough,
they could actually observe the intensity variation as the planet blocked
some of the star's light from our view.  Pretty good for off-the-shelf
amateur equipment!

All this is giving me an itch to point one of my Pentaxen skyward, but I'm
afraid all I'll get this week will be clouds.  Aarrrgh!!  At least they're
18% gray....  :-)

Bill Peifer
Rochester, NY

the system manager.