Returning the lens is exactly what I intend to do... after I try it
out on the *istDS this weekend.  Not my intended use for this lens,
but B & H customer service is closed on Saturdays and UPS/FedEx
doesn't pick up on Sunday.  It should give me enough info to see if I
can live with its size and weight.

OTOH, now knowing that the SDM is prone to failure, perhaps all the
more reason to stick with my so-far faultless <knock on wood> DA
16-45.  I don't intend to spend this type of money on an manual focus
lens for my K200D.

- Pat