There is no opt out. Since anyone can join anyone can compile and display archived e-mails as this is a public list. Yes you are paranoid. Even paranoids have enemies. Unfortunately the only way to protect your privacy is to never post anything.

eckinator wrote:
I google myself now and then to see what data is availble about me on
the iNet (answered research questions about my work relationship with
a past supervisor once and what I said was published under my real
name without my permission or even a word to me so I guess I've gotten
a bit cautious) and found that all communication on PDML can be
readily accessed through www.mail-archive.com so that has me wondering
if there is any way to opt out of that to protect my privacy. By way
of example, I use private Picasa web album links for a reason and if
they are on mail-archive.com, they are not really private any more. Am
I just being paranoid or is this a concern for anyone else, too?
Cheers
Ecke

The free man owns himself. He can damage himself with either eating or
drinking; he can ruin himself with gambling. If he does he is certainly a damn
fool, and he might possibly be a damned soul; but if he may not, he is not a
free man any more than a dog.

        --G. K. Chesterton